Monday, April 20, 2009

A photo finish

I got up at 4:30 a.m. on Saturday. Yes, 4:30 A.M. Those who know me well know I’m barely functioning by 8 a.m., let alone 4:30 a.m.
Nonetheless. Mike and I had an important task ahead of us: the 4.2 mile Pat’s Run (that's my race number above). I blogged about the event here.
I just wanted to give you all an update and let you know that we’re both still alive. I’m a little sore from it. (Hey, I hardly ever run! I used totally different muscles!) But we clocked in at just over 48 minutes, which isn’t bad for two people who never run.
I did make one vital discovery – my endurance is definitely building. Normally I’m ready to keel over after a mile of running. But I felt pretty strong and steady throughout this whole race.
And the best part? We saw ourselves in the newspaper the next day!!!
See if you can find us:

No? Ok, we’re just above the big yellow balloon in the bottom/middle of the photo. I’m in a maroon #42 shirt and have pasty white legs. Mike is (sprinting) slightly ahead and to the left of me in a bright blue shirt and black shorts. That’s us!!
I know I’m a reporter and my byline is in the newspaper every other day… but somehow, this was still very exciting for me.
Anyway, more than 13,000 runners and walkers finished this race. That’s a pretty awesome way to honor a pretty awesome guy.
But enough about running. It’s time to get back to hiking. After a short tooth-and-soreness-related hiatus, Kelly and I will be back on the trails this Thursday, in our final push for the Grand Canyon!

1 comment: