Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Honored Hero

Kelly and I are sitting in the auditorium at the Team in Training kickoff party. We clap for our coaches as they are introduced to us and laugh at the cheesy “inspirational” music that blares a little too loudly.
Each group of coaches, trainers and “honored heroes” are announced. The honored heroes are the people we are hiking for. They are men and women who have battled leukemia, and are winning. They inspire us. After all, if they can fight leukemia, surely we can fight up that last stretch of the mountain.
Another honored hero is announced, and it’s a name I recognize but can’t quite place. I look over to see my classmate stand up and make his way down the aisle to the stage.
It’s the man I sit next to in class every Wednesday night. The guy I chat with before class and during breaks about my job as a reporter, his job as a lawyer, and how crappy the economy is.
I’m reminded that cancer touches us all; sometimes in ways we don’t even realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment