Sunday, March 8, 2009

A family affair...part deux


I thought my Aunt Karen hiking along side me this weekend was a generous way to support my Grand Canyon training. But she wasn't finished just yet.
Before she departed Phoenix to head back to Philadelphia, she had one more awesome plan up her sleeve.
"I want to help you get your fundraising together," she told me over poached eggs. "Let's go to Costco and load you up with a bunch of stuff you can sell at the baseball games."
And that's what we did. The two of us grabbed at cart at the local North Phoenix Costco and debated what teenage boys and their families would gravitate toward at a concession stand.
I must admit that super stores like this freak me out a bit.
The amount of goods packed inside this giant warehouse tend to overwhelm me and within minutes I'm usually confused, roaming around munching on samples with an empty cart.
But she helped me zoom in to this massive store and decide exactly what our makeshift concession stand should sell.
We settled on the old standbys. M&Ms, sunflower seeds, granola bars, fruity snacks, chips, soda water, Gatorade and even and old classic, Tootsie Pops.
She even helped me understand what to price each item, a skill she picked up while running the concession stand at my little cousin's swim meets.
This was her donation to our hike and I can't thank her enough. It's amazing what a long way a little support can go.
Bring on the baseball and the hungry children! We'll be ready.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, that's awesome! Mad props to your aunt for not only hiking with you but also helping with the purchase/price strategy of the concession stand goods.

    ReplyDelete