Monday, March 2, 2009

In your own backyard


Here's a funny thing about living in Phoenix. No matter which direction you turn there is a mountain. And I've quickly learned that after living in the Valley for a few years, you get spoiled and begin to take them for granted.
Well, that is until you start training to hike into the Grand Canyon, which turns the mountains scattered in your backyard into your own version of LA Fitness.
First, you begin to learn the names of all the mountains you've been passing by. Then you realize that these very mountains are packed with hiking trails, many of which are just a few miles from your house.
One of those is Lookout Mountain, which is literally two left turns from my house, but it took a hiking guidebook to get me there.
Each day, I drove past this mountain on the way to work but I never REALLY noticed it. I certainly didn't anticipate that it would soon become one of my favorite places, one of my most trusted sites for consistent trail running and day hiking.
This Sunday, Meghan and I hiked to Lookout's summit.
(That's me pictured above giving the signal that this trail is indeed once again a fantastic find!)
From the top, it's easy to spot my neighborhood and if you really search, you could probably find my house. What a great feeling to finally be paying attention.
I wonder where we'll end up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment